Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cranky With People Who Can't Answer Questions



Actual conversation with a potential client who has no resume at all and no Linkedin profile (so I know nothing about his background) whom we will call Mr. X:

Me: Are you starting an active job search?

Mr. X: Well I have been in merchant services for many years and I started out my career selling cell phones for my cousin and then I got into this field and now I make about $30,000 per month which is a really good living...

Me; (interrupting) What can I do for you? Do you need a resume?

Mr. X: Yes I need a resume but I am so unique that its hard for me to talk about what all I have done and....

Me: (interrupting) Are you starting an active job search?

Mr X: Yes I am starting an active job search because I am sick of my industry and I want to sell my portfolio and get a job doing something else.

Me: What do you want to do?

Mr. X: Well I have only really been in merchant services and I don't know anything about other industries like nanotechnology so I need a resume so I can find a nice place to land but I make really good money....

Me: (interrupting) If you don't have any idea what you want to do I really don't see how I can write a resume for you. Also, what does nanotechnology have to do with anything?

Mr X: Oh someone mentioned nanotechnology to me. How am I supposed to figure out what to do next if you don't brainstorm some ideas with me?

Me: (want to kill myself about now) Look, my job is to help you get what you want and I do that by interviewing you and helping you craft a resume and plan to get the job you want....but if you have no idea what you want I can't be effective. Also you are all over the place when you talk about your background...you need to be able to succinctly tell someone what you do....sales, marketing, product development or whatever.

Mr X: Oh, OK...so what do I need to do so you can write me a resume?

Me: (bang head against desk until I pass out)

The end. (yes this conversation actually happened but I probably got some of his comments a little wrong because he was very scattered)

No comments:

Post a Comment